Thursday, May 8, 2008

it´s raining in madrid

this morning we awoke to rain...there is also a lack of prostitutes in the square in front of our hostel this morning. bummer.
yesterday we hit up the Museo del Prado. it was pretty rad. we got to see some amazing art from goya, ruebens, bosch, durer, rembrandt, valasquez etc...
while at the museum we also happened to bump into the boy from byu...rheanna and aimee believe that fate has brought us together...we´ll see about that one.
after the musuem we walked through some gorgeous botanical gardens and then made our way over the the parque del buen retiro. we saw this really cool statue called "the fallen angel." it´s one of only a few statues depicting Satan. it was really quite extraordinary. the expression on his face was really haunting. after we saw the statue, we meandered through the parc some more and hung out near the monument to Alfonso xii which is situated on a small lake. it was a gorgeous day outside.
following in the spanish tradition, we came back to our hostel and ended up taking a bit of a siesta and then went to search for some grub. we had a crappy dinner at some gay joint up the street...our waiter was a large turd and we couldn´t wait to get out of there. we then made our way back to the hostel to wait until 10pm so we could go to the flamenco bar. when 10 rolled around we discovered that none of us really wanted to go to the bar and were relieved that we were all on the same page! so instead of hitting up the bar, we decided to hit up the mcdonald´s downstairs for some fries and ice cream-food of champions, baby. we came back to the hostel and watched "the pianist" in spanish...and didn´t understand a thing. ¡vive madrid!

meg

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard about 'the rain in Spain'. I hope it's not raining on your parade! I won't tell you that there is nary a cloud in our Arizona sky in the land of 90 degrees & sunshine! But then, you didn't leave home to find things abroad just as they are from where you left.
The art you saw sounds amazing. It's so thrilling to see those works up close and personal like that. I'm going to google the fallen angel statue after I'm done here.
Too bad about your pink-panty waiter. Maybe he had a wedgie last night. Tell him he could learn a thing or two from the French! Remember our fun guy that night in Paris?
So, if you don't give zoobie boy your digits, there will be regret. I'm with the girls on this one... Fate is bringing him to you! Or you to him, as it may be. There is no such thing as coinkidink.
So, wear your rain poncho today, and keep a smile on your face. And most importantly, keep your feet dry!
Can't wait to hear about your adventure in tomorrow's blog!
(Check your email)
Love you!
Mama Mia

Sydney said...

Hi Meg,
I think we might have met once at April's house (Aimee's mom). I'm the auntie.
Love your blogs and I followed your mom's lead and looked on line at the staute of satan. It's really very beautifully executed and the subject moving. Keep the posts coming. I love them and look forward to your gnome pictures. I have a "gnome" of my own that travels with me. She loved Paris and got some great pics. She's love to see Spain!
Sydney